November 14th and 15th, 2015
Davenport Landing, CA
A surf contest to celebrate paddle surfing
The Davenport Paddle Surf Classic has been around for many years, held at legendary break about 20 minutes north of Santa Cruz. In previous years of the contest, we’ve had waves range from small to scary big, but always competitors that demonstrate skill, style, and sportsmanship. We celebrate all forms of paddle surfing, with divisions of kayaks, waveskis and stand up paddle boards (SUP). 2014 was a record setting year, with a record number of competitors. To allow the return of 19 minute heats, we will be limiting registration this year more severely. I fully expect the contest to sell out well before the contest date.
We have a unique category called King of the Wave, which pits all forms of paddle surf competitors together in a head to head battle, regardless of surf craft. Most competitors enter this as a second category. Every year, we have had SUP’s, kayaks and waveskis have made the finals. Scores have been close, and it demonstrates that any one of the paddle surf craft could easily be competitive with the incredible athletes that were paddling them! For the first time ever, we will have cash prizes totaling $500 for this category!
A special prize will be awarded to the highest ranked first time competitor in each category. Meaning, if this is your first Paddle surf contest, then you qualify for a chance at a special prize.
Entry fee includes a dinner and party Saturday night, and an event T-shirt. All competitors will be entered in a raffle for sweet prizes. Last year we gave away thousands of dollars worth of gear!
Register before September 15th and get a free hoodie sweatshirt too!
- Open High Performance Kayak Any “sit inside” kayak under 9 feet in length
- Open International Class Kayak International Class standard kayak, minimum length 3 meters, max 4 meters.
- Stand Up Paddleboard Any stand-up paddle board w/leash & powered by a single blade paddle.
- Women’s Stand Up Paddleboard Any stand-up paddle board w/leash & powered by a single blade paddle paddled by women. Women will likely surf with the men, then have their own finals.
- Women’s Kayak Any sit inside kayak. Women will likely surf with the men, then have their own finals.
- WaveskiAny SOT kayak or ‘wave ski’ under 3.5 meters in length.
- King of the WavesKayak, Waveski, SUP. Head to head in the battle royale.
- Juniors Kayak and Juniors SUP Under 18 at the time of the contest.
- Adaptive Waveski For athletes with spinal cord injuries or amputations.